EHS Sr. Safety Specialist
Farmington, MI 48150 US
Job Summary:The Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) professional is responsible to lead the development, implementation, and monitoring of EHS programs and policies to build a proactive EHS culture and achieve the objectives of zero incidents, improved team member health and environmental stewardship along with ensuring compliance with pertinent regulations.
The incumbent will report to the Chief Operations Officer (COO) and will have direct EHS responsibility for one location and be responsible for leadership of EHS professionals and EHS performance across all locations.
This position is held on-site at the Company’s location in Farmington, Michigan, with the requirement for local travel to other locations. Remote work or a hybrid work arrangement is not available.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop EHS programs & oversee effective and sustainable implementation in collaboration with leaders and team members.
- Lead, mentor, develop and support EHS staff.
- Develop and maintain EHS calendar that that ensures annual initiatives, special projects and/or compliance requirements are met.
- Provide counsel to the manufacturing teams for safety, health and environmental questions, concerns, suggestions, best/better practice and adherence to EHS policies/procedures.
- Develop and Lead the incident investigation processes (near-hit and injury) including to conduct root cause analysis, prepare reports of investigation results, identify and implement corrective and preventative measures to eliminate repeat incidents.
- Determine and manage requirements and availability of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Lead ergonomic assessments and Industrial Hygiene activity and manage actions and recommendations.
- Participate and support plant EHS teams, including safety committees, first responder, 8D problem-solving, etc.
- Serve as representative for regulatory inspections and compliance audits.
- Collaborate with Engineering and Program Management to ensure new programs are implemented in accordance with safety standards and practices.
- Periodically inspect and monitor equipment, work areas, facilities and work practices and procedures for compliance with workplace EHS rules, regulations and policies and prepare records and reports of findings.
- Monitor and administer ISO 1400: 2015 Environmental Management System within prescribed guidelines as set forth by the international standards including acting as Environmental Management Representative.
- Collaborate with site teams and Human Resources on annual training plans and required EHS training.
- Ensure training records are maintained in accordance with Company procedures.
- Maintain knowledge of OSHA, MIOSHA, EPA & MEDQ standards and how those standards are to be applied to the facilities.
- Foster effective communications for EHS topics to ensure all levels of team members are informed and working together.
- Track, report and analyze EHS metrics. Share trends and suggestions with leadership to pro-actively correct and improve EHS performance when targets are not met.
- Maintain and update the requirements and recordkeeping of required plans (i.e. SPCC, SWPPP, RCRA, Contingency Plan, Waste Minimization, etc.).
- Develop and Administer applicable plant wide emergency and contingency response procedures.
- Maintain the facility chemical management system that includes tracking of all chemicals used at the facility and the related Safety Data Sheets.
- Collaborate with Human Resources for administration of Workers Compensation programs.
- Participate in layered process audits (LPAs) and other continuous improvement activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental and/or Safety Engineering or Occupational Health and Safety Management required.
- 7 years’ experience as EHS leader in manufacturing environment, preferably in automotive and with both union and non-union workforces.
- Prior experience leading EHS professionals
- Experience in implementing and managing ISO 14001 EMS certification requirements.
- Current knowledge of federal and state regulatory safety codes and standards.
- ISO 14001 Lead Auditor Level Certificate preferred; Certified Industrial Storm Water Operator (Preferred)
- Must be comfortable spending majority of working time on the manufacturing floor.
- Must be able to work flexible hours to be available across the multi-shift operations.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and Google Suite
- Strong organizational skills, analytical and problem solving skills, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to influence & gain buy-in at multiple levels, across divisions, functions and cultures; comfort working with executive level management.
- Must be able to travel to other manufacturing locations as needed.
- ISO 14001 and/or ISO 45001 Lead Auditor
- CSP, CHMM, CIH or similar preferred
- Reasonable accommodations are made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Sponsorship, now or in the future, is not available for this position.
- Relocation Assistance may be available based on the candidate's qualifications.